Code of Practice
Soul Companion Doulas, whether participating in a training course, working a volunteer or independently employed agree to adhere to the Soul Companions Seven Principles and Code of Practice set out below. This is a moral and ethical obligation to our clients and their families, to promote the standing in society of Doulas at End of Life and to uphold the reputation of Soul Companions and the community to which you belong.
Therefore, a Doula will:
- Work compassionately to place the dying person at the centre of all they do.
- Account for their own practice in whatever environment they choose to work.
- Work honestly, transparently and remain open to scrutiny in their scope of practice.
- Always maintain confidentiality and privacy regarding the client and their family.
- Respect and complement all other healthcare professionals involved with the patient.
- Obtain clear written agreements with their patients/clients and not work beyond the limits of their knowledge.
- Explore various supportive, therapeutic options with the patient/client to maximise wellbeing.
- Maintain, secure, and document accurate contemporaneous records of the care given.
- Present themselves both in manner, language and dress that is fitting and acceptable to the client.
- Commit to continued learning and reflection to remain current and knowledgeable in this area of care.
- Maintain the highest standard, representative of their training, to care and support in an empathic, natural, nurturing manner that is non-judgmental, organised, practical, and reliable.
- Signpost the patient and clients to relevant informative, practical, helpful information.
- Take responsibility for obtaining and presenting Professional Indemnity Insurance and Disclosure and Baring Service checks (DBS check).
A Doula will not:
- Act in any manner that would suggest they are a trained healthcare professional by performing clinical or medical tasks, offer diagnostic advice, or
- Work beyond the limits of their scope of knowledge or training (even if qualified in a therapeutic field).
- Discuss private information concerning their patient / client now or in the future.
At Soul Companions our training courses are prepared and delivered to ensure all participants reach their potential to enable them to take this journey with those who are dying.